*Repairs are Complete!
Thank you for reducing water consumption last week!
Water Conservation Bingo *Submissions are now closed
Winners have been contacted and announce on our social media pages.
At Home: Average Winkler resident uses 135 liters per day at home
Our Target water savings per person is 40-50 liters per day during the water tank repairs.
Here are some things you can to to reduce water consumption.
Reduce shower time
3 out of 4 adult Canadians spend 5 minutes or more in the shower.
Reducing your shower by 2 minutes will save 13 to 40 liters (depending on your shower head).
Do laundry prior to Oct 9th and minimize the number of loads until after repairs have been completed.
- Each load will save 50 to 90 (or more) liters.
Put some ice cream pails in the shower while using it and use this water to flush your toilets or water your indoor plants.
This saves around 6 liters per flush.
Only run your dishwasher when it is completely full.
- Did you know your average dishwasher uses about 15-40 gallons of water per load?
Turn off water taps while engaged in tasks such as shaving and brushing teeth.
Turning off water while doing this saves up to 8 liters per minute.
Repair leaking plumbing fixtures, how to check for leaks here
- Did you Know up to 200 gallons of water per day can be wasted through a leaky toilet?
- If you suspect a leaky toilet, be sure to check it out!
Use minimal water in the sink for washing dishes and the bathtub for bathing.
No outdoor non-essential uses.
Do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods.
- Defrost food overnight in the refrigerator or by using the defrost setting on your microwave.
City of Winkler Efforts to Reduce Water Consumption
- No hydrant flushing
- No sprinkler system assessments
- No unnecessary equipment washing
- Construction activities must use non-potable sources only
- Fix any and all water leaks
- Signage for reduced water consumption in our public spaces
- Minimal rink flooding